Tuesday 8 January 2019

Do Fashion Magazines Need to Change?

(Vogue.co.uk, 2019)

For Christmas I asked for a yearly subscription to British Vogue, an established publication who's glossy covers I have lusted over for years. Vogue are at the forefront of fashion magazines, with their designer clothing and famous photographers, Vogue seems to be where it's at.

It's been no secret that the magazine industry has taken a hit over recent years. With the likes of the internet and applications such as Twitter, we see news as it happens or even before it happens. We have articles online and blogs like this one which answers all of our questions - What are the latest jeans to hit the market? How do I lose weight? Which beauty product is best for mature skin? I think I'm correct in assuming that not many people turn to magazines for this kind of information anymore.

Regardless of this, I still love flicking through the glossy covers of a magazine, the smell of the paper and the high-res images, in the flesh - it's something you cannot beat. Kind of like the book vs Kindle debate people were having a few years back. I'm someone who still prefers the physical.

If there is a market for them, why do magazines seem to be on the decline? Are some publications shutting their doors as there seems to be an absence of audience? What are they doing wrong?


(Newbold, 2019)


I logged onto LSN Global to have a look and see if there were any answers to my questions. Katy Lassen (one of the founders of the London-based digital platform Also Journal" said: 

"The traditional model of a fashion magazine is on its knees. So many big print magazines are folding or going online. Women clearly want something different. Brands are also cottoning on to the fact that women would rather read and look at women more like themselves. We have less and less time yet spend a lot more of it online, so it is natural that this is where we would seek out fashion content too."

I think she has a lot of sense in what she is saying. I cannot deny that although I love Vogue, I do sometimes wish there were more articles that related to me and to my budget/ lifestyle. Looking at the latest Dior collection is all well and good in an imaginary sort of sense, but not when it comes to style tips for my Saturday night out.

As well as this, I think that sometimes publications such as Cosmopolitan can seem almost juvenile - speaking to a more tween audience rather than something which would appeal to both my demographic and the age group my mum is in for example.

I think that their is a gap in the market for a new fashion/ beauty magazine. I don't know whether it would be successful or not, but I do know that real women want something which represents them, and is for them - not just the elite fashionistas.




References

Vogue.co.uk. (2019). British Vogue Magazine - February 2018 | British Vogue. [online] Available at: https://www.vogue.co.uk/magazine/february-2018 [Accessed 8 Jan. 2019].

Newbold, A. (2019). The Hollywood Portfolio: Margot And Nicole Cover February Vogue. [online] Vogue.co.uk. Available at: https://www.vogue.co.uk/gallery/february-2018-vogue-margot-robbie-nicole-kidman [Accessed 8 Jan. 2019].

SHARE:
© Phoebe Moon
Blogger Designs by pipdig